Monday, December 13, 2010

LOST FOR 27 CENTS

Lost for 27 cents

   When I was 4 and a half years old my mother sent me to the corner store for milk. She sent me with 27 cents 1 quarter and 2 pennies. I got to the store and did not have the money. I turned around and looking down toward my shoes I tried to retrace my steps hoping to find the money.
   I got lost. I ended up 4 blocks away quite a time latter crying and having no clue where I was. I felt like I was walking in circles. a gentleman  in a Restaurant saw me and it was obvious I needed attention.
   Luckily I knew my address, or about where I lived. He settled me down gave me a  quarter and a ride home.  He told me I don't have to tell my mother about the quarter .I remember fearing I would be seen being dropped off. Got home late and with no milk.
Ma  asked me what happened. I explained I got lost after losing the money but I found the money while looking for it.
   Unbeknown to me the money was already found on the garage floor, 27 cents.
   I was as lost as anyone lost in a big city could be for a couple hours. I was an 4 and a half year old emotional wreck. I could have never been found, I thought.
   The focus was not on how happy I was to be home and not lost. The focus was on that I lied about the 27 cents, and where did I get the quarter. I eventually  told the warden (ma) about the restaurant owner giving me a ride and the quarter. We figured out in the car where he was by luck and the phone booth type entrance on the side of the building on 47th and Kostner. We thanked the man and gave the money back.

No comments:

Post a Comment