Thursday, December 16, 2010

Speach and Drama A E I O U a e i o u A E I O U a e i o u cha cha cha

Speech Class             A_E_I_O_U

In Third grade my Ma and Pa , whom had high hopes for my political career sent me to Miss Smith on 59th and Kedzie on the very top corner of the Colony Theater.
She was a drama instructor and a speech therapist. I have a ch's  lisp. I have a problem saying Charlie Chipmunk chider and chattered on the way to church chewing a chunky down China Street.
I did tongue exercises, such as trying to touch my nose with my tongue. Like the French Movie the diver, A_E_I_O_U-A_E_I_O_U-A_E_I_O_U.
Miss smith was this 5 foot late sixty year old aunt type, who was actually the aunt to one of the Beach Boys.
I would take the Archer bus to Kedzie, then the Kedzie electric bus to 59th street by myself. Safe traveling for a 10 year old. I did have a few friends in class. My first realization of Vietnam was when a girl missed class when her brother was killed in Nam. Tough for a third or fourth grader.
I did not want to be there and I do not believe any one else did for speech, although some kids may have been there for drama class. To be in speech class Miss Smiths requirement was you partake in drama also. I think she needed bodies for her plays.
After months of tongue and mouth stretching exercises and also participation in drama Miss smith put on a play. My family and a few relatives came to see me perform. I do not remember the play but I do remember my mother being embarrassed by my costume attire. I left my zipper, or barn door open on my pants.
Thank God for small accidents. I believe I only had to go to two more lessons before I was allowed  to quit.
It's amazing what things that seem so small and unimportant become beneficial to your being and who you are. I felt  some regret leaving my fellow actors behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment